We are very happy to announce today the new release and deploy of Shapado 4. We know it’s been a long time since our latest feature release but do know we’ve put a lot of hard work and dedication into our craft to make Shapado the best Q&A platform around.
As you may have noticed, we’ve done a complete overhaul of the design and added many new features. It is hard to decide when exactly to release such a big version change, there are always more bugs to fix and more features to add. For now, Shapado hosting will remain entirely free until all the outstanding bugs we haven’t catched so far are fixed. Rest assure though that we will always have a free hosting offer and that Shapado as a software will always remain Free and Open Source for all.
The design: Now let’s get to the meat, what’s new in this version? Well first, the new design done by @dgfrancisco. We don’t want Shapado to be a clone of anything but to be its own software, with its own personality and style. We want it to be unique in design and unique in features. We hope you like it as much as we do. We’ve also made it flexible enough so you can have a two column layout instead of three or do your own theme without even knowing CSS.
The features: On the features side, we added many of them and we will blog separately about each. That being said, let me introduce you to the biggest features of this release. First and foremost, Shapado now has a real-time UI, this means new answers and questions will appear automatically on your browser with no need to refresh. Making the site more fun to browse, more instant and more interactive. We also have added the ability to answer questions directly from your email client so you don’t have to sign in to Shapado. Each user will also get personal feeds of questions that are of interest to them in order to make their experience on the site more interesting and curated.
Here is a list of the most important changes:
- WebSocket: Shapado now has a live UI that updates itself automatically as questions, answers and comments get added
- Bounties: Offer karma points in exchange for an answer to your question.
- CSS themes: Easy interface to modify each css property
- Connect/merge social accounts: Merge your facebook, twitter and other social accounts.
- Facebook app: Embed shapado inside your facebook page.
- Invitations: Invite your friends.
- Complex search: Search by author, tag, date and more.
- Activities: See a list of latest activities.
- Save favorite answers: Find your favorite answers quickly
- Follow ups: Create new questions out of an answer or even a question.
- Personal feed: Curated list of questions, personal feeds will only show question you follow.
- Friend suggestion widget: Get suggestions to follow users you may know or tags you may be interested in.
- External widgets: Show widgets on your blog so that your users will ask questions from your blog.
- Custom html widget: Show custom html in your widgets.
- For admins: Post activities to twitter, for example all activities of this site are posted on this account.
- Reply by email: Users can now answer questions directly by mail.
- Custom access: Pick what user can use to sign in (email, openid, facebook, twitter etc)
- Redesign: Read above.
- Mobile ui: shapado.com/mobile
- Save search: When you search for something, you can save that search so that it will appear down your personal feeds.
- Attachments: Attach files to questions and answers.
- https: Surf Shapado securely.
Last but not least, Shapado is now localized in English, German, Dutch, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Macedonian, Malay, Italian, Interlingua, Finnish, Galician, Belarusian, Russian, Danish, Persian, Tagalog, Simplified Chinese and more to come. You can contribute to the translation effort thanks to translatewiki here.
Here are some nerd stats of all the changes that went into this release:
$ git diff --shortstat 3.x..master 1800 files changed, 43721 insertions(+), 41472 deletions(-) $ git log 3.x..master --oneline | wc -l 1956